Sunday, June 7, 2015

Book Review: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Published by: Harper Teen on March 9th 2010
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Mystery, Fiction
Pages: 432
Format: Paperback

Book Blurb:
In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.


At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.


Ugh. I don't even know how to begin.
So I bought Jellicoe Road as a Christmas present for myself last December because it was suggested by a bunch of readers I met on the internet. I often follow their suggestions when picking the books I buy so I gave it a try. I read the book as soon as I open it. As I was a few pages into the book, I was really confused. I don't know from whose perspective I'm reading, and it skips from one story to the other. I kinda placed it on the back of my shelf for months. But last week, I rearranged my shelf and found it again. At that time, I couldn't read anything so I finally got the courage to pick it up once again. Though my feelings about Jellicoe Road was still conflicted, I read it. Without knowing a thing or two about the book. And right now, it was one of the best decisions I made (book wise, of course). I really loved the book so much!

I was totally amazed about how Melina Marchetta weaved the story from the past and present. When you start reading it, you will be confused. Because a a hundred or more pages in the book tells about territory wars and what not. BUT THIS IS NOT ALL! I suggest you still experience the book first hand. Without knowing anything about it. Because if you do, you will be as touched as I am. 

Anyhow, this book made me emotional. Not just happy and sad, but also frustrated, annoyed, angry, heartbroken and more. The way Melina wrote it was like listening to a song. It gave you all the feels a book can make. It affects you in an indescribable way. It was lyrical. Beautifully crafted.

The character developments were also great. At first, my view for Taylor Markham and Hannah's character were a bit odd. Like, I can't tell whether who's right or wrong. And also, a big cheers fro Webb, Tate, Fitz, Narnie and Jude who are absolutely one of the best characters. They are really inspiring and realistic. Lastly, who wouldn't love Jonah Griggs? <3 HAHA.

To end this review, I must say that Jellicoe Road is deserving to win a Printz Award. Also, I am positive that I really adore this book to pieces, but I'm not sure if everyone would. I mean, this was labelled as a Young Adult read. But it takes a lot of understanding to love this book. NOT SAYING THAT I AM MATURE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THOUGH. Maybe if you try to put yourself into it, you would definitely fall in love with it.

I recommend this book to EVERYONE, even the very old ones. It is a coming of age and life changing book.


I would give this a hundred stars if I could.


Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the Jellicoe Road was released in 2006 and won the WAYRBA voted by teenagers in Western Australia in 2008. It also won the US Printz Medal in 2009 for excellence in YA literature. This was followed up by Finnikin of the Rock in 2008 which won the Aurealis Award for YA fantasy, The Piper's Son in 2010 which was shortlisted for the Qld Premier's Lit Award, NSW Premier's Lit Award, Prime Minister's Literary Awards, CBC awards and longlisted for the Miles Franklin Award. Her follow up to Finnikin, Froi of the Exiles will be released in Australia in October and the US in March 2012.


P.S. Melina Marchetta just became one of my favorite authors of all time!


1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot about Jellicoe Road but I've never ventured into my bookstore to buy it. I've heard her other books are really amazing as well! Great review, by the way. You can tell you're very passionate when it comes to this book.

    A.M. Bradley @ Hungover Fiction Lover

    ReplyDelete